Merchant Tarasov’s Mansion
The mansion is now the Residence of the Governor of the Sverdlovsk Region
Gorkiy Street, 21
Architect M. P. Malakhov
The home of the merchant Tarasov is one of the oldest stone residential constructions in the city. Members of the Tarasov family were serious and influential people: Savva Tarasov, who bought the house in 1837, was a rich local merchant; the grandfather and father of Savva Tarasov occupied the position of city mayor several times. Savva’s grandson — Pyotr Ivanovich — is the most famous from the younger generation of the Tarasov family. His fortune was secured by goldmines in the Southern Urals, but he was most widely known as a gold coin collector and an active participant of various cultural and charitable events in Ekaterinburg.
After the revolution, during Soviet times, the house served as the Teacher’s House. In 1997 the building was significantly restored and rebuilt as the Governor’s residence.